Vitamin B13 having chemical names orotic acid and pyrimidine carboxylic acid is the vitamin which is synthesized by the natural flora of the intestine. This vitamin is not fully known till now. Only few functions are recognized in our body. Orotic acid is one of the intermediate compounds in the pyrimidine metabolism. Orotic acid results in formation of insoluble inorganic salt with a mineral called orotate. Many mineral nutrients such as potassium, calcium as well as magnesium are available in the form of orotate. These orotatic forms of minerals are easy to absorbed and used by the body. They can easily be transported from the gut into the blood with the help of orotate salts. As they reach the blood, the minerals get separated from the orotate. The minerals then become free and available to exert their therapeutic as well as pscyological functions.
- Animal sources: These include meat especially the beef.
- Plant sources: It is found in the whey as well as in certain vegetables.
- It is important for metabolism of folic acid and the vitamin B12.
- Vitamin B13 (Orotic Acid) is found to be important in genetics.
- It is used in the treatment of certain heart diseases as well as liver diseases.
- It is good in the treatment of dangerous diseases such as multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Vitamin B13 provides health to the skin as well to the hairs and nails.
- It prevents from the aging particularly premature aging.
- It is beneficial in those patients who have suffered from heart attack; there it may prevent its recurrence in those patients. Especially magnesium orotate which is found useful in reducing the severity of heart diseases of chronic nature. It prevents heart remodeling as well.
- Determination of orotic acid is found beneficial in delineating certain causes such as the cause of increase levels of ammonia (hyperammonemia)
- Orotic acid seems to have some direct effects on metabolism of folic acid. Both the folic acid and orotic acid take parts in DNA synthesis. Its vitamin like effects is thought to be because of this reason that it helps in DNA and RNA manufacturing in the body.
- It is an important indicator of ammonia disorders related to its metabolism that can lead to illnesses or even death in people with inborn errors of metabolism as a result of defect in urea cycle or other genetic problems. People having abnormal liver functions because of some viral infections, drug abuse or alcoholism and people with bleeding from their digestive tract usually excrete increase levels of orotic acid in their urine.
Usually deficiency of this vitamin is rare but in case of its severe deficiency there arises following signs and symptoms as follow;
- Appearance of crystals in the urine
- Degeneration of cells
- Impaired immunity
- Low vitamin B12 levels
- Problems related to heart
- Weight gain
- Large and abnormal sized blood cells
- Skin problems
- Disorders within the liver
- Mental retardation
- Complaints of premature aging
No known surplus effect cause by vitamin B13 is reported on its excessive intake.